Saturday, November 24, 2012

again and again and again


In the never-ending rotation of handbag musical chairs (wants and needs and haves and have-nots) you can sometimes forget the things you've had the longest and the things that have stuck by you through the thick and thin. The ones you struggled so hard to get your hands on, the ones who've been your constant companion at morning brunches and on evening dates and at fancy birthday dinners with fancy birthday friends. But then, like all good things that are so, so good, you just forget about them. A newer model comes in, something else catches your eye, and that old favourite gets wrapped up in its dustbag and sent to the back of the wardrobe. It's silly, really, but it does take a reminder to jolt you back to your senses. It might be the glimpse of a picture from Paris, bag tucked casually under the arm. Or the sight of it, perched resiliently in its place, begging for the chance to be given another moment in the sun. Or, much more shallow, yet infinitely more true, the sight of it on a streetstyle blog. How has it come to this? Rather than all those good times and all of those happy memories the thing that makes you want something the most is seeing it on the arms of some fashionista? Well there you have it. We are, all of us, completely and irrevocably human.

X

8 comments:

jamie-lee said...

I have definitely been guilty of this, whether it be with fashion, with catching up with friends, or just forgetting to use those vegetables before they expire.

Anonymous said...

hannah! could you please please do a post on summer clothing? i know you get to spend your aussie summer in a parisian winter, but i need tips and you look lovely, always!

Simply MeMe said...

Are you telling me that you have a Celine handbag hidden in your closet??? :))) That is spoiled, you must have far too many designer handbags then ;) I wear my Fendi constantly :)

hannah-rose said...

Jamie Lee - I know!! It's the worst... I sometimes let beautiful bits of meat expire in the fridge too, and only remember that I have them when I see a cooking program that uses them isn't that terrible!

Anon - Oh, thank you!! I can definitely do one. Maybe using polyvore? My summer fare is usually really boring though - loose linen/cotton trousers and a stripey tee shirt and sandals (of course)...

Simply MeMe - Yes! It's that beautiful one down the bottom.. And I'm using it today to celebrate haha :)

x

Anonymous said...

Can you please tell me the style name of your absolutely beautiful CĂ©line bag? Many thanks in advance!

Lindsay K said...

But isn't it wonderful when you discover that you love something (after putting it away at season's end) just as much as you did when you initially purchased it?

hannah-rose said...

Anon - Thank you - I wish I could remember the style.. I think it's called the Medium Envelope something... Maybe Medium Envelope shoulder bag?? I hope this helps (it probably doesn't.. sorry!!)

Linsay K - I know. It warms my heart to think how much I still love this little beauty, I'm just embarassed that I let it languish for so long! It was proudly by my side all of Sunday, and it got so many compliments. Love that little thing :)

xxx

brooke said...

when i read this post all I hear in my head is you saying "It's got to be celine..." when I was contemplating what to buy next. you're so right.

ps sorry for the comment spam... ? x